RE: Missing CD Drives

Subject: RE: Missing CD Drives
From: "Grant, Christopher" <CGrant -at- glhec -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 14:22:54 -0500

Hi Gareth,

> A strange thing has happened (once again). My machine no
> longer recognizes that there are two CD drives living in it. On boot up,
the

I've seen some suggestions to scan your system for viruses or Trojan horses
(not to be confused with Trojans, a brand of condom, of course :) and while
it's always good to protect yourself from these things, what you're
experiencing doesn't sound to me like that's the problem.

Viruses and Trojan horses typically do pointedly malicious things, like
crashing your system, deleting files, or corrupting your registry. The
failure of Windows to recognize a piece of hardware is most often the result
of something _other_ than a virus or Trojan horse.

Which drive has disappeared? The CD-ROM, or the CD-RW? CD-ROM drives are
pretty much recognizable these days, but some CD-RW drives require specific
drivers to be installed. When you installed Nero this might've gotten
messed up.

Try uninstalling Nero, EZCD, or any burning software. Re-install the
drivers for the CD-RW, and then re-install your burning apps. See if that
helps.

I don't use W2K, but I assume there's a Device Manager (My Computer >
Properties.) See if both CD drives show up there.

Open the case up and check your connections - make sure the ribbon cables
are seated firmly into the right sockets, both on the drive-side, and the
motherboard-side.

I'm not trying to suggest that it's NOT a virus or Trojan horse, but I've
heard of this happening much more often as a result of a driver or
configuration issue.

-Chris Grant

Buy RoboHelp Office in May and you'll save $100 with our mail-in rebate.
Or switch from Doc-to-Help or ForeHelp to RoboHelp Office for only $499.
Get the help authoring tool PC magazine recently awarded a perfect score!
Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr