Re: Contracting question

Subject: Re: Contracting question
From: Regina Lynn Preciado <reginapreciado -at- mindspring -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 12:27:02 -0700

At 02:00 PM 5/1/2002, Diya Krish wrote:

when do I start looking for
other contracts/jobs?

Always. Now. Yesterday. Tomorrow. :) One reason I've started teaching workshops about effective online networking is that I have seen many colleagues stop gig- or job-hunting when they land something. Then when the new thing ends (layoff, contract is up, whatever the reason), they suddenly go into Job Hunt Mode. Much more effective to keep a steady level of looking and networking - even if you don't pitch to any particular client/gig at the moment - so you know who's hiring, what companies have projects that might interest you, etc. You might come across contracts that you can't accept at the moment but that you can refer a colleague to, which is good for all concerned.

Right now I am blessed with two big contracts that individually wouldn't be enough but together are too much. However, I signed on with the second client because my first client told me they were cutting contractor hours down to 40% of what I'd been working. I told client #2 I could work 40% of full time, leaving me to do 40% for client #1 and 20% for all the "unbillable" but crucial activities like networking, pitching new clients, updating website with latest projects/clients/clips, learning new tools, boogie-boarding, and so on.

Client #1 has yet to cut our hours, and client #2 likes my work and wants more of me (yay!), and just today I saw another contract gig posted that would be perfect ... so I'm in a similar situation as you. Do I pitch this possible client, or let it go because I'm too busy right now?

I'm going to pitch. If it doesn't work out, I'm no worse off. If it does work out and I meet with them, I *might* eventually have to make some decisions (i.e., tell client #1 I can commit 10 hours to you a week, take it or leave it) but in this economy that wouldn't be such a bad spot to be in.

Either way, I'll have made contact with another potential client. I'll have interviewed them and learned about their projects enough to know whether to contact them in the future. They'll have reviewed my portfolio and can keep me in mind. Maybe they'll figure I'm in such demand because I'm good and worth waiting for. :)

If you plan to keep contracting, I recommend reading Jan Zobel's book MINDING HER OWN BUSINESS, which will help you with recordkeeping, taxes, and the like.

Good luck!

Regina

p.s. It took 4 1/2 months between first hearing about a possible gig with client #2 and actually signing a contract.

regina lynn preciado
word wrangler * digital nomad
http://www.wwwritingonline.com
213.384.7286