RE: Sales/Marketing Driving Documentation Approach

Subject: RE: Sales/Marketing Driving Documentation Approach
From: "Sarah Kampman" <skampman -at- acornsys -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 15:09:44 -0500

> To me, the ideal way to document this interface would be some
> sort of online help. <snip>
> However, on several occasions I've been approached by some of our
> sales reps asking for documentation they can show in meetings with
> prospects. Since RF is a big feature of our total system, they often ask
for
> RF documentation. Obviously, they can't show RF help in a sales meeting -
> they probably won't even have an operating RF unit in the meeting. And the
> primary purpose of showing the documentation is really to show off some of
> the system features (not to show off the documentation), complete with
> screen shots.

What about putting together a PPT presentation with a series of slides
showing "screenshots" of the Help in action? It'll probably require some
heavy graphics creation/editing considering that real screenshots aren't
possible, but I think this might be a good solution for everyone involved...

* If the product doesn't need print doc, it doesn't need print doc.
Similarly, if you don't have time, ... Of course, maybe a print doc would
help your Tech Support group find what they need easily...but that's another
discussion.

* Even a 50-slide PPT presentation will probably be simpler to put together
than a X-page doc. It also won't be expected to change as frequently; that
is, you're obligated to update print doc when a paragraph changes in the
Help. But a presentation is a features overview, not a detailed how-to...I
think you could get away with only updating it when major features of the
app/help change.

* The customers probably don't care about a binder of paper. How impressive
is thumbing through a boring ol' black & white doc? Think like sales: color!
animation! snazzy layout! They can do all of that with the PPT. Bringing up
another benefit...

* PPTs can be edited by anyone. In fact, if it's part of the Sales/Mktg
demo, it's arguably theirs to update...freeing you of the task. They can
also customize it to each customer...which may be a big plus on their part.

* But the biggest benefit: Showing the Help as part of the app in pictures
does what a printed doc can't do: showcases how integrated your doc is with
the app, and how useful it will be in the field. That's hard to imagine with
a manual, but much easier when you're looking at a shiny, full-color
picture/illustration of the app stuck on some difficult screen and an
animated or still series of pictures that show how to get Help and recover
from the problem. Seriously, that'd be very cool.

In any case, good luck!

-Sarah