RE: Researcher vs writing rates

Subject: RE: Researcher vs writing rates
From: "Jonathan West" <jwest -at- mvps -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 15:21:30 +0100

> Any suggestions as to how I should respond are appreciated. I'm also not
> sure how much I would charge for a "research" rate. My sense is that it
> would be lower than my writing rate. (My writing rate is $65/hr.)

Why would it be lower? My initial thought is that almost all technical
writing involves research of one sort or another, otherwise you wouldn't
know *what* to write! Therefore, there is little reason to vary your charges
based on having a higher or lower proportion of research.

I'd just charge the same hourly rate. If there will be additional expenses
involved in carrying out the research, then pass those costs on (having
first explained that you will do that, and estimated what the costs are
likely to be).

Regards
Jonathan West