Re: lurkers and lurking (my 2 pence)

Subject: Re: lurkers and lurking (my 2 pence)
From: Jennifer Maitland <jlm -at- kwi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 10:06:10 +0100

>Sure, we lurk. We are trying to learn, because to a great extent, we are
>the tech writers of the future. We are the ones with whom you will be
>competing, not just for new positions, but for the positions you already
>hold--and we are better trained, better educated, and better motivated than

>many of the current group of tech writers who seem to have gained
>employment in (what used to be) a high-demand employment field.

Tekwrytr,

Since you're trying to learn, let me share my POV with you.

Two years ago today I graduated from university. Armed with a double major
in writing and computer science, I was as ready as any new graduate to enter
the wonderful world of technical writing. I was, as you are, well trained -
a solid background in OO programming, a kick-ass web designer (if I do say
so myself) extremely well versed in Flash and a long list of technical
writing classes behind me.

What with all these qualifications I didn't have much problem finding a tech
writing job in Vancouver, BC, and thus began down the path that now has me
in London, England, still working as a tech writer.

In the past two years I have produced mad amounts of documentation, worked
under some brilliant senior technical writers, learned a few of many
precious personal skills it takes to stay alive in this industry, dealt with
both amazingly intelligent CEOs and project managers and amazingly
unintelligent CEOs and project managers. I have been laid off on one
occasion and I have also been the tech writer who has gotten to stay while
others were all laid off around me. I've explored print documentation,
training guides, help text, animated tutorials and online help. At times, my
job has demanded me to multi-task and code a bit here and there or become
part of the QA team. A couple times I've worked four weeks solid without a
day off, and there are many times I've had to work through the night,
sitting along side a developer, documenting code as they wrote it. Most
recently, I came to London on my own in an attempt to gain some
international work experience. I've integrated my personal and professional
life into a new culture and am now starting my own tech writing department
at a well respected company.

All this in two years. Now let's think about the people on this list who
have been doing this for ten, 20 or 30 years. Think about how much more the
paragraph above would include if they were the ones writing it.

With all due respect, my point is that if you go into the workforce with the
attitude you've got now you're simply going to be unpleasantly surprised.
School was an excellent base from which to launch myself from, but my real
education in tech writing has come from being in the industry itself.

There is no end to what you can learn from those who have been in the
industry for much longer than you, and if you go in with a motivated, yet
humble and respectful attitude, your skills will stand out and you won't
have to indulge in such a bout of self praise.

At age 25, two years into a tech writing career I realise I still have a
hell of a lot to learn - so why is it, that at age 22(?) with no tech
writing experience under your belt, you seem to think you know everything?
Trust me, there's more to it than you're thinking.

Just some thoughts............

Jennifer