lurkers and lurking

Subject: lurkers and lurking
From: "ASUE Tekwrytr" <tekwrytr -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 15:52:16 -0400

Why would anyone lurk, and not post messages? For the same reason he or she joins innumerable STC SIGs--information.

Why would a lurker leave the list? Lack of useful information.

Of the thousands of university students, both undergraduate and graduate, a large chunk are lurkers, here or on the STC boards. Why don't they contribute more? For the exact same reason they all fill in "it was flippin' wonderful" when asked--every semester in every class--to comment on the class and instructor. Because every good student knows that every good instructor keeps track of who says what, and those "evaluation comments" can come back to haunt you.

Does anyone really expect openness and honesty, on this forum, or in a university evaluation? Nope. What they expect is what they get--carefully reasoned answers and responses designed not to offend or "negatively impact" either final grades or career options.

Consider--if I rudely shoot down a poster for something I consider utter drivel, then find out later that the poster is the hiring manager at the firm at which I am seeking employment, has my freedom to post my real opinions benefitted me?

Sure, we lurk. We are trying to learn, because to a great extent, we are the tech writers of the future. We are the ones with whom you will be competing, not just for new positions, but for the positions you already hold--and we are better trained, better educated, and better motivated than many of the current group of tech writers who seem to have gained employment in (what used to be)a high-demand employment field.

Remember the Cultural Revolution in China? And the result? Consider lurkers a compliment to the interesting and illuminating postings on this list. When we have something to say, we will say it. For now, many of us are simply learning an extremely interesting field of endeavor. Our personal opinions and inclinations can wait.