Back in the Saddle

Subject: Back in the Saddle
From: "Edwin Wurster" <eawurster -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 08:04:16 -0400

It's early Saturday morning. A good time to evaluate the rising sun.

The events of the past year continue to affect people in ways that are not understood very well. Recession > Suffering > Terrorism > Depression > Retribution.

I scan this list because tech writing is a significant part of how I earn a living. As someone else mentioned, there is a lot of noise to sift thru, and it would be great if we had some new topics.

On Monday I am starting a personal "break-thru" project, which I hope also signals the start of a significant "up-curve" for everyone else.

EJR wrote recently that a list is not really the place to find emotional support. Even if that is true, I believe that many persons are looking at their lists for ways to get through the bad periods.

I try not to mourn for very long when someone leaves a list, because it always works out for the best. A lurker will take up the space.

As I am trying to fit into an old saddle, it feels like a good time to re-read a motivational piece that I have had around for many years. Some other Ray introduced me to the book.

??A
society, or
all mankind,
should study the
consequences that are
likely to result from each
decision that is possible at
the present time. By making
appropriate selections today,
society can influence its
future, rather than wait for the
inevitable to occur. The individual,
too, can consider what sort
of person he wants to become,
and what goals he wants to
achieve, before making a choice
between various alternatives.
He can set out to produce a
certain future for himself,
instead of feeling that his life
is completely determined
by forces over which he
has little control.?
Allen Tough
from
The Adult?s
Learning Projects

It is very important to carefully review how one approaches lists, email, instant message and so on. It is possible to significantly damage your career with your public writing.

Ed

Edwin A. Wurster
17 Hollybrook Way | Voorhees, NJ 08043
856-435-7823
Consulting, Programming and Maintenance
for PC & Mac Systems/Network
Training, Technical Writing and Web Design for Small Business