RE: Salaries

Subject: RE: Salaries
From: karen_otto -at- agilent -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 09:16:45 -0600

From: Emma -dot- Cuthbert -at- wwa-sysmed -dot- com
<snip>
>More generally, do any of you have any suggestions about how to discuss (or

>avoid?) salary in an interview?
<snip>
>Am I alone in feeling that job satisfaction and a constant learning curve
>are equally important?

Emma,
It sounds as if you've just had a "valuable working experience." Your best
bet right now is to chalk up what you expected from the agency to learning
experience and discover what your current status is right now, in your
current job. With the job market as it is, it sounds as if you don't really
have any choice but to stay in the current job. So while it may be worth at
least trying to get a raise, you should weigh carefully any demands for
salary review with the possibility of losing the job.

Of course, you should also consider yourself still in the job market, and
not spend any more time at this company than you have to.

I am currently in a job at a company that makes a successful effort to "pay
among the leaders." That means if I change jobs (under consideration), I
will almost certainly take some form of compensation cut.
My current response to "what are your salary requirements" include:
a) explaining the current company's philosophy, and qualifying that with the
fact that I am looking at the job content as much as the salary.
b) if they ask for a minimum, I request a "total compensation chart" or pay
range. Either of these will give me an indication if I can afford to take
the job.
c) Reply that their ad said DOE (Dependent On Experience), and my
requirements are DOJO (Dependent on Job Opportunity).

Job satisfaction is absolutely vital for me. Constant learning curve does
not exist. In my 20 years of experience, I have always seen periods of
stable, "do the job" tasks, followed by fits of intense learning, ASAP
execution. It's what makes the job fun for me.

Karen Otto
karen_otto -at- agilent -dot- com