Re: Font Selection Methodology

Subject: Re: Font Selection Methodology
From: "Michael West" <mike -dot- west -at- oz -dot- quest -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 10:30:28 +1000

"Marguerite Krupp" <mkrupp -at- cisco -dot- com> wrote:

> The real question, IMHO, is "what characteristics of a typeface (and its
> context, such as color, contrast, line length, kerning, and leading)
enhance
> or detract from its legibility in each medium; that is, print, online,
> film/video, PDA/phone, etc.?

The question is well put. I would add a consideration for
"quantity" as well. A bold, striking heading in 14 pt Arial
Black can be a great aid to comprehension -- but who
wants to read a whole paragraph of it?

What sorts of 'legibility' are there, and when are they
important? How do *combinations* of typefaces on a
page interact to enhance or interfere with comprehension?

Do we need theory to make these choices? Or do
we just need a healthy curiosity, a good pair of eyes
and a clear head?

Edward Tufte said "good type is a solved problem."
Just look at well-designed books, he advised, and borrow
what is relevant for your task.

For the electronic media the same advice might apply --
but what works in print won't necessarily work on-screen.

We do need to be aware of the differences between
print and electronic display devices and their interactions
with the human visual apparatus. Reflected light
versus emitted light; printer resolution versus screen
resolution -- this can all get fairly "technical."

Anyone looking for simple answers will be disappointed.
My advice is -- open your eyes, clear your head, focus
on objectives, and then see what works.

Or you can take the easy way out and say it isn't
important, it's just a lot of foolishness. You know--
like whatsisname.

--
Michael West
Melbourne, Australia