context sensitive help implementation

Subject: context sensitive help implementation
From: Jennifer Maitland <jlm -at- kwi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 15:35:16 +0100

Hi all,

First off, I'd like to thank everyone who contributed to my post on paper
documentation vs. help systems - every single email was amazingly helpful
and I've come full circle in my understanding of this issue. I think I've
got enough to convince my manager that using two mediums in this case will
ultimately serve the customers so much better. And he already agreed to
distribute the guide as a CD that gets shipped with the software, so people
can print it out or just keep the CD.

Anyway, moving along. I have another question. I often create help systems,
but I'm not the one implementing them. So while I run around making help
topics for every single little thing, I don't actually know how developers
link these topics in a context sensitive way to the software. The last help
system I made was for an ASP based solution and it was not context
sensitive, so it wasn't difficult to implement at all.

But what about linking topics to software? Any ideas on how this happens? I
realise this is pushing its way into not really being a technical writing
question, so feel free to respond off the list. If anyone's interested in
seeing a compilation of the answers to this post I shall keep them and can
email them out to individuals.

Thanks!

Jennifer