paper documentation vs. online help

Subject: paper documentation vs. online help
From: Jennifer Maitland <jlm -at- kwi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 17:22:18 +0100

Hi there,

Up until last year, I normally created paper-based documenation using
Framemaker. Then, I moved to a new company where I got the opportunity to
begin creating online help with Robohelp. Now, thanks to the unstable job
market, I have just begun work at a different company.

One of the great things about this role is that I have gotten to start my
own technical writing department and get to make a lot of the decisions. The
first task I need to accomplish is to create documentation for our product,
which is a vast piece of software used by energy traders and risk analysis
people. To date, I don't think I've ever seen software this complex!

Upon my joining, it was assumed I would create a paper-based user manual. I
can see the value in having such a manual, but I've also begun to see value
in having a help system. The system does not currently have a help system.

My question is: when is one more appropriate than the other? Has anyone out
there ever found themselves writing a manual and realised it might have been
better to create a help system (perhaps even a context sensitive one)
instead? I realise the ideal would be to have both, but I don't have that
luxury in this situation. What I'm really wanting to know is, based on what
you are trying to document, are any clear cut guidelines for the form of
documentation you should create?

Does that make sense, or am I being wholly ambiguous here? My apologies if
it's the latter - I'm extremely overwhelmed and do not have any other
professional writers to consult with on this one! Your input is appreciated,
thanks!

Jennifer Maitland

Technical Author
KW International