Re: Lurking

Subject: Re: Lurking
From: "Larisa Grujic" <Grujicl -at- ceu -dot- hu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 09:46:03 +0200

Hello.

My reasons for (mostly) lurking:

1. Being a non-native user of English, most of the time I don't feel competent enough to discuss the language and grammar.

2. Living in Central Europe, writing state of the environment reports and instructional materials for an English speaking university, I am not exactly interested in STC conferences and membership, salary and employment issues in the U.S., procedures, and white papers, although I am glad to know something about everything. I also don't use some of the tools (like RoboHelp, for example). This considerably limits the number of messages I actually read and the number of discussions I can contribute to.

3. If I can answer a question before somebody else does it, I do. Most of the times I am not that quick. Besides, I've been on digest for a month or two now, because I've been extremely busy; I forward the digest to another e-mail to be able to take it home and read late at night. I don't have an Internet access from home and replying seems too troublesome. Right now, I am writing this in Word, and will send it in the morning* if I don't forget.

4. The fact that my messages stay on the Web and can be seen by anybody, does not make me too worried, although I must admit that I don't like the feeling* But it won't keep me from posting, maybe I'll just think twice before I post.

I find this list extremely useful and really enjoy learning from you. Thanks.

My 50 forints - guess that might be around 2 cents :)

Larisa

Larisa Grujic, Research Assistant
Department of Environmental Sciences & Policy
Central European University
Nador u. 9, 1051 Budapest, Hungary
http://matisse.ceu.hu/departs/envsci/