RE: Ready to Scream

Subject: RE: Ready to Scream
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 16:51:28 -0400

Tamara,

Welcome to my world! It seems the more complex the application, the more
likely you are to have concerns about business/operations policies and
procedures included in the help system. You are at a bit of an impasse, but
unless the project plan can be modified to accommodate the time it takes to
develop those topics, you may stuck with just the basics.

If the project calls for a post-mortem after delivery, you should try to add
your concerns to the list of issues. Best not to attack the other team
members for lack of respect, it gives them reason to continue dissing ;)
Point out that there was a successful delivery, and that your initial
analysis shows the help system to be satisfactory. However, you can note
that the original scope of the project included the operational info, and
that anecdotal evidence suggests it will be of even greater assistance to
the end user. Your best scenario may be a compromise. I've had several
results with this kind of situation: 1)operational stuff should be
incorporated in a future release; 2) Operational stuff is irrelevant, and
should be dropped from any plans; 3) Operational stuff is highly specific to
a client, and can be included if the client is willing to pay for the
additional effort. 4) Operational stuff should be mentioned as additional
resources and linked to the system if possible; 5) strictly internal
products don't really need the operational stuff, because it's available to
employees via the intranet, or a handbook.

It's a little difficult to tell what may be most appropriate for your
situation, I gather (perhaps incorrectly) that this application is designed
for internal use? You may want to advocate for 1), 3) or 4) as feasible
options, depending on resources.

It's difficult when you want to provide the highest quality possible, and
you feel as if you're being prevented, but some battles are simply lost
causes from the start. Experience is usually the best judge whether you can
win it here, or just move on.

Good luck, and keep the throat lozenges handy:)

Connie P. Giordano
Senior Technical Writer
Advisor Technology Services
A Fidelity Investments Company
704-330-2069 (w)
704-330-2350 (f)
704-957-8450 (c)
connie -dot- giordano -at- fmr -dot- com <mailto:connie -dot- giordano -at- fmr -dot- com>

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to
do it." - Pablo Picasso