Re: The Problem With Fonts (RE: Font Selection Methodology)

Subject: Re: The Problem With Fonts (RE: Font Selection Methodology)
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 10:47:30 -0600

Well put, Eric. To add to what you wrote, I offer this:

To me, part of what we get paid for is our JUDGMENT. Yeah, we're supposed
to digest new technologies, track down straggling issues, and write
useable documentation. But in most companies our coworkers also look to us
to be the experts when it comes to the *presentation* of this information,
which may include layout, font-fondling, etc. So it's up to us to make
some choices. And these choices are subjective. Pick one, and move on,
using your best judgment.

If you really don't feel qualified to make this kind of choice, consult an
expert resource such as a design book or two (preferably books that you
like the looks of), and follow the advice you find. And move on.

Often your superiors will have strong sentiments about what your documents
should look like. This simplifies your job - give them what they want, and
move on.

Despite endless studies, no iron-clad rules have been established.
However, some very strong conventions are firmly in place. When in doubt,
follow them.

If you use styles in your documentation, it's a pretty easy project to
make two or three versions of the same document, substituting fonts and
other attributes. Come up with a few variations, print 'em, pass 'em
around, and take a vote on which one looks best. Or if you're the boss,
pick one, and move on.

BTW - I never considered Andrew's initial post to be a troll. It just
seemed like a humorous aside from a guy who found the fact that he - a
known hater of font-fondlers - had to spend a few minutes of his
work-harder-not-smarter day actually dealing with fonts. For those of us
familiar with his online oeuvre, this was both ironic and amusing.

However, a couple of posters either missed or ignored the humorous tone of
his post, and launched in earnest into a what-fonts-mean-to-me diatribe.
And the self-trolling thread grew from there...

- Keith "ASCII no more questions and I'll tell you no more lies" Cronin