Re: departing from a template

Subject: Re: departing from a template
From: johanne -dot- cadorette -at- locusdialog -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 7:49:26

Ellen wrote "....Is it usual to consider a template the only way to create
documents of the same type, allowing the documentor no freedom depending on
the individual document?"

As others have pointed it, it really depends on what the template is for,
and what kind of overrides you are talking about.

I would add that templates are a great way to enable people outside the
documentation department to be responsible for their own documents while
respecting documentation guidelines and standards. For example, we've
worked hard to establish to come up with a certain look and feel for our
technical documents. We've gotten great feedback on how easy they are to
use, clearly written, well-organized, etc. So we came up with some
templates for other departments to use; we provide the form, and they just
plug the content in. That way, those docs have the documentation seal of
approval, if you like, but we aren't responsible for them.

If that's the kind of thing you're after, then no, writers shouldn't stray
from the templates. However, if the templates were set up more as
guidelines, then it's up to you to decide how flexible they should be.

My two cents, hope it helps.

Johanne Cadorette