Planning and Failing

Subject: Planning and Failing
From: "Wanda Phillips" <wajasspike -at- infoconex -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 09:31:58 -0700

I love planning. I always write up a plan, even when the powers-that-be do not expect or request a plan. A plan helps me frame the project so that I can work towards a goal and can catch some *gotchas* before they get me.
Planning is not a highly admired technique in many *fast-paced* industries. I have kept many a plan secret, in my locked drawer, for fear that the speed-freaks running the project would get wind of that time waster. When they come to my desk and say that something is derailed I don't quake in my boots. When they turn away to put out their fires, I pull out my plan and shuffle tasks and sometimes I drop window-dressing from the list. Because I have a plan, I can do this.
I don't hold the plan up and say *In 15 days, I will create the acme of documents.* But, the plan lets me know if I'm holding up my end of the deal and protects me, somewhat, from the 24 hour stints of my early years. I can pace myself and prepare.
It's like having an outline for the document you are writing. You can always change it as you develop it and find the flaws, but it provides a road map to a destination.
Currently, my only plan is to find work! And, yes, I do have a plan with a goal and risk management sections.
Wanda

from the edge of reality
near the edge of the continent