RE: Telecommuting

Subject: RE: Telecommuting
From: Jim Shaeffer <jims -at- spsi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 10:19:11 -0400

David Castro wrote:
> But, I've also been told that they don't care if
> I "...work only 2 hours a day, as long as [I]
> meet the deadlines." (Which I always have, to date.)

A corporate culture that manages by objective rather
than by face-time is _much_ more conducive to
teleworking. Finding a culture that really manages
this way, rather than just giving it lip service,
is difficult.

Check the archives. I remember at least one manager
who used concrete, numeric measures of writer output
who reported that those statistics went up when
writers transitioned to teleworking.

Jim Shaeffer (jims -at- spsi -dot- com)