RE: Pros and Cons of HTML tools

Subject: RE: Pros and Cons of HTML tools
From: Ed Gregory <edgregory -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 18:51:44 -0500

I'm adding FP back to my resume, and I'm doing a lot of straight Javascript
as well. I am being forced to beef up the JS skills to make up for what
FP2000 lacks. I was made lazy by the beloved (but fat-code-creating)
coziness of using DW4 with Fireworks and Flash.

And now for the rest of the story:

--Have to use FP2000 instead of 2002
--Cannot use FrontPage extensions. Server issues.
--The site will be a minimum of 800 pages
--Uncertain yet, because of their server structure and publishing methods,
whether I will be able to use external js files or be forced to duplicate
the scripts inside every page. I'm waiting for an answer and in the
meantime, have found no sites on their main server containing pages that use
using external scripts

I've created and managed much larger sites and moved them from FP97 to DW3
and then DW4 in the process.

Can someone who is fluent in both tools tell me how to replicate in FP2000
the two DW4 features I miss most right now:
--real templates and site cache
--library items

Thanks for all this wonderful technical talk. ;-}

-Ed Gregory