Contracting confusion/frustration

Subject: Contracting confusion/frustration
From: Stephanie -dot- Seveska -at- abbott -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 14:35:22 -0500

Hi all,

I did look in the archives for this, but didn't find anything in particular
matching my question...so, any and all help is appreciated.

I am working as a contractor at a medical pharmaceutical company, and though I
am contractor for all intents and purposes, I am technically a subcontractor
(i.e., one company hold all accounts here and other companies must contract
through the main holder - if that makes sense). The main company is simply a
run-of-mill temp agency such as Administaff or Manpower, and the
subcontracting company has little to do with us except paying us every week.
Is this a problematic set-up? If I want to move forward in my career, should I
be working in this environment? Will subcontracting hurt me more than help? I
already feel as if I get the short end of the stick by having a "temp" service
impose their rules and regulations, but also I am treated more like a temp
than a technical contractor... It's the same set up as when I was in college
temping for summer money;and it seems like I worked to get my degree to avoid
this. I just started in this field recently, and, for the most part, am a
little confused about how this is all supposed to work. Am I supposed to just
sit by and ignore the frustrations, put up with being treated like a
snot-nosed kid who can't figure out a timecard? Or, did I just choose a bad
contracting company? Any help to enlighten? I am not fresh out of school, but
this is the first time I have really contracted. I know from reading the posts
that a lot of you contract either with a firm or independently and though you
might be able to help.

-Anne