RE: Tech Writing for Seniors

Subject: RE: Tech Writing for Seniors
From: Kim Roper <kim -dot- roper -at- vitana -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 15:44:21 -0400

Bill Buckheit asked:

> I think that we're getting away from the main issue here. If
> others have
> experience with or anecdotes specifically relating to
> explaining computers
> or technology to seniors, I would like to hear them.

Okay, I'll bite.

My grandfather will be 79 this year. He doesn't use a computer much, so he
could use a hand getting onto the Web. This is all well and good, but I
were to try to help him by using anything less than the appropriate
technical terms, I think he'd tell me to either stop talking down to him or
shut the hell up. Make no mistake, he's excellent with analogies, but he
doesn't need them in this venue. He could probably provide a few good ones.

He might not know much as about the Web, but he knows far more about
computer components than I do. He's also a better touch typist. Heck, he
probably writes better than I do. He speaks five languages fluently, too.

I'm leaving this job to my grandmother. Not that long ago, her computer
setup was better than mine.

Bottom line: While the generalizations in this thread are probably mostly
valid, you *will* find folks that don't fit the mould. These folks might
have physical limitations within the scope discussed, but they don't require
the same leaps of logic. How do you keep their interest? Trust me, you
*don't* want my grandfather to get bored, and neither does your local public
utilities commission.

[waving] Hi, Grandpa Bob!! :)

Cheers ... Kim
kim.roper at vitana.com