RE: Tech Writing for Seniors

Subject: RE: Tech Writing for Seniors
From: Diane Evans <Diane -dot- Evans -at- marconi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 07:34:46 -0700

Just my two cents worth...

I must be really old. If my grandparents were alive, they would range in
age from 101 to 132. But my mother, on the other hand...

My mother got her first computer at the age of 73. The first thing she did
was write me a letter (aka e-mail) that started out, "Dear Diane, How many
of these letters can I write before I fill up the computer's memory?...Love,
Mom"

Eventually, we taught her not only how to write emails but have her doing
Instant Messenging as well. She is just having a blast with the computer,
and knows more about formatting an Excel document than half of the people I
work with!

My grandmother once called and complained that she couldn't get the time to
set on the new digital clock she had just bought. No matter what she did,
it read "12:08". My mother went over, and realized that Grandma had not
peeled off the plastic sticker protecting the display!

Diane Evans
Technical Writer
Marconi Wireless
425-519-2030