Re: HUMOR: STC Conference Time!

Subject: Re: HUMOR: STC Conference Time!
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 20:18:30 -0800

Matthew Horn wrote:

I am wondering what you think the "particular viewpoint of writers" is, then. Do we need simple overviews of network topologies? A high-level introduction to method reflection? A round-table discussion of the merits of .Net?

Mostly, I agree with you.

However, there is probably an audience for introductory presentations as well as expert ones. People might want, for example, to hear a general overview about .Net, just to keep abreast of current trends, but not need more complete knowledge right now.

However, what I really had in mind was the fact that many writers come from non-technical backgrounds. I'm one myself. I agree with you that we need the same knowledge as engineers, but many of us probably need a bit more of a leg up to reach that level knowledge. A presenter might very well present the same idea to an audience of engineers and an audience of writers, but, when addressing writers, a thoughtful presenter would probably be advised to take less prior knowledge for granted. Similarly, writers seem less innately excited by technology than engineers, so a presentation slanted to writers would have to work harder to convince the audience that it should care about the subject.

In short, what I would like to see is presentations that would get writers more interested in the technical side of the profession. I'm convinced it can be done - but I don't know of many efforts to do it.

"I respect kindness to human beings first of all, and kindness to animals. I don't respect the law; I have a total irreverence for anything connected with society except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer."
-Brendan Behan