Re: STC conference redux

Subject: Re: STC conference redux
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 20:06:19 -0800

Deborah S. Ray wrote:

"Hart, Geoff" wrote:

Second, any conference is only worth what you bring to it.
Several people on the list have paraphrased this comment in the last few days. In an effort to raise my curmudgeon status from novice to intermediate, I'd like to suggest that this is one of those unexamined half-truths that get bandied about so often that everyone accepts them.

It's true that attitude can make a difference. However, the causality flows both ways. It doesn't matter whether you bring a good attitude to being mugged; it's still going to hurt and humiliate you, no matter how much positive thinking you do.

Similarly, while your attitude and actions might turn an uninspiring conference around, you're also going to be influenced by how well the conference is organized and its range of topics and speakers.

So there. Harumph

(snorts, and slides glasses back up the long nose he's looking down)

"I respect kindness to human beings first of all, and kindness to animals. I don't respect the law; I have a total irreverence for anything connected with society except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer."
-Brendan Behan