Re: Big Word Docs?

Subject: Re: Big Word Docs?
From: quills -at- airmail -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 12:30:08 -0600

At 10:28 AM -0700 4/5/02, Deborah S. Ray wrote:

dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com wrote:

> One has to wonder why they keep shipping [Word with the Master Document]
> feature...And why oh why don't they come up with a better solution?

In fairness, I should mention that there's at least one subscriber on Techwr-L
who insists that Master Documents work fine.

Over on the TECHWR-L site, we've published some material
from Steve Hudson on using Master Documents:

http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/magazine/technical/wordhomepage.html

This is an excerpted work-in-progress chapter from Steve's
work-in-progress book on advanced Word usage; his "Ten
Heretical Rules of Masters" begins about midway through
the chapter.

Deborah

After reading the referenced document above, I have to admit that the "Ten Heretical Rules of Masters" is a very good tool if you are forced to used Word.

On the flip side, the "Ten Heretical Rules of Masters" documents why Word is flawed, and why you should not attempt to use it in this manner. Any software that is so flawed that the user must find work-arounds to this extent just to make it perform as the marketing says it should, is not ready for prime time.

Scott