RE: Internet Architecture Project - PLEASE HELP

Subject: RE: Internet Architecture Project - PLEASE HELP
From: Joe Sokohl <joe -at- sokohl -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 10:05:46 -0500

Part 1: Visio alternatives for Macintosh users
[DISCLAIMER: this is not meant to start a "my OS can beat up your OS" schoolyard brawl. Instead, I just wanted to share some options for those with Macs in this sphere]
For those who use Macintosh, I strongly recommend OmniGraffle 2.0 for Mac OS X (http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnigraffle/). It's robust, it has layers, it alllows you to edit your connnection lines as Bezier curves (making more interesting and usable diagrams, especially in dense information spaces), and it has extraordinarily great pallettes...even the super-cool information architecture pallette created by Jesse James Garrett (http://www.jjg.net/ia/visvocab/). If you have to map out any Web site or application, this is a great tool. to share with other folks, you can save as PDF so easily it's indescribably delicious.
Another great choice is ConceptDraw, which works on both OS X and OS 9.x as well as versions for various Wintel platforms (http://www.conceptdraw.com/en/products/). In addition, they have a way to translate files to and from Visio, if you have to share files with people who use Visio to edit (not simply view) files.
Finally, Mac users can also use Virtual PC and Visio if necessary. However, one of the main objections Mac users have to Visio is not just the lack of a Mac version--it's the cost. Visio lists at $179 on pczone.com; OmniGraffle goes for $59.95.

Part 2: Where is the User?
In all the discussion, which is extremely practical and implementation oriented, I'm still missing any audience analysis...and document purpose. Here's what Anthony said:

What they want is a technical reference manual for
programmers and developers which documents their
system of servers, mainframes, routers, ATM switches,
applications, etc. Further they want this manual to
be documented down to the "file level" of detail and
have a variety of diagrams and tables in addition to
the usual narrative content. The system is used
primarily for quoting, managing, and underwriting
insurance policies.
Although underwriters use the system to provide information to prospective buyers of insurance, who uses the documentation? Why? Where? How? Are there non-native English speakers using the documents? I know this sounds basic and implied, but in projects I do, I like to state information about the user explicitly...and I feel that a project of this scope requires solid planning...not just profiling the user of the documents, but envisioning scenarios in which these users actually use the documents. Are they being created to meet a legal requirement, or are they documents that different programmers can refer to when they are creating new utilities?
Let's remember that programmers are users, too.
Hope this helps,