Re: MS Weird Style & Autonumbering Mania (Help!)

Subject: Re: MS Weird Style & Autonumbering Mania (Help!)
From: "Margaret Secara" <margaret -dot- secara -at- alphather -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 11:22:12 -0800

Maggie Secara
Technical Writer

IT Systems & Programming
Alpha Therapeutic Corporation
Los Angeles, CA

(323) 227-7251

>>> "Gillespie, Stephen (Contractor)" <Stephen -dot- Gillespie -at- Persnet -dot- Navy -dot- Mil> 03/29/02 09:19AM >>>

OK, I admit it - I'm humbled by the MS Word (Style & Autonumbering)
functionality!
After umpteen years of writing, editing, & dtp using Interleaf & Frame, this
MS Weird has the best of me!!

Stephen, outline numbering is one of my least favorite tricks, too, and I'm not sure I can help you directly without sitting down at your computer--as I did for one of my developers yesterday on the same issue!

I am _trying_ to edit a large (~80pp) doc wherein the outline numbering
system (aka 'scientific numbering), with several levels, is not working
properly. I've tried to edit the style (masters) for numbering, to no avail
(may be operator error !), e.g. if I change a style number prop
'downstream', changes previous styles. At this point, I'm ready to start
with a clean slate, so to speak, tried to 'Merge' an empty Word doc to
re-import the styles, but this does not work (as in Frame template import) -
anyway, can any of you Word Masters please offer some advice?

To copy styles from one doc into another, go to Tools/Templates and Add-Ins and click the Organizer button. You'll see the styles in the open document and the styles in Normal.dot displayed. Close one of them, and in its place, open a doc that has the styles you want already in it. Select and Copy.

Or look in Word Help under "Use settings from another document or template"

If you're going to be wrestling with Word on a regular basis, you might want to consider joining the Word-PC list. mailto:word-pc-subscribe-request -at- liverpool -dot- ac -dot- uk to join
(no subject or command text required)

HTH,

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr