RE: Re; Validating documentation

Subject: RE: Re; Validating documentation
From: "Kevin Christy" <kevinchristy -at- socal -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 07:32:17 -0800

Suzanne:

I can relate. I went through similar circumstances, but I left before the
bloodletting. I must say, though, it looks like the writing was on the wall
for at least six months at your company.

In my experience, very few people are ever warned that they might or will be
laid off, because managment doesn't want to provoke a resume-blasting storm
wave and lose the services of their remaining staff prematurely. That can
be a planning nightmare.

One thing I learned: I will never be a martyr again, sacrificing my personal
and professional life for the Company God. I was so busy (I had a schedule
very similar to yours, only I also have a wife and kids) that I began
sacrificing EVERYTHING - family, church, vacation, personal time, hobbies,
and my own professional development. I never did take those classes in
Framemaker and Robohelp... never did have time to network at industry
meetings... never did have time to write 'insider' articles to enhance my
reputation... never did have time to build and polish my portfolio. I'm
paying for it now, even though my employer got hundreds of hours of
uncompensated overtime, and never gave me a raise. That was MY BAD. I will
never, ever repeat an experience like that again. No job is worth
sacrificing family, personal growth, and professional development.

This is a bit off topic, but your post got me going. Peace!

Kevin Christy
kevin -at- rightjustified -dot- net
www.rightjustified.net

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr