Documenting "touchy" applications

Subject: Documenting "touchy" applications
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 11:43:14 -0800 (PST)

Hi, guys...question.

I have a series of applications, actualy, scripts that are front ends
to a CRM application; Siebel.

We create these scripts to allow a user to perform a job function.,
such as requesting a credit check, requesting an advance payment
waiver...what these are doesn't really matter.

The problem...these scripts that have been created run well if you do
a series of steps in exactly the right sequence, from exactly the
correct place in Siebel.

However, if you know Siebel, you know that there are many views and
many flavors of the same view, many of which you "COULD" launch a
script, though it isn't the place from where the developers designed
it to be run.

So..being who I am, I try to run it from where I shouldn't even
though can, and continualy come up against error messages and dialogs
that pretty much, say (paraphrasing), YOU CAN'T DO THAT from here"

What's happeninig is that my documentation is becoming half "What to
do", half "What not to do".

Not only that, but maybe I'm making the applications appear more
complex than it would be if the user did exactly the right thing at
the right time.

Is there a balance..a middle of the road approach? How do you guys
handle this?

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
Current gig ending 4/15