RE: How to use DreamWeaver to write a help system? (WAS: Framemaker to HTML or use Dreamweaver?)

Subject: RE: How to use DreamWeaver to write a help system? (WAS: Framemaker to HTML or use Dreamweaver?)
From: "Rebecca Downey" <rdowney -at- matrox -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 13:10:39 -0500

Good afternoon.

> I was hoping to get a little more information on Help systems
> done with DreamWeaver.

I'm managing a medium-sized help system that was:
* written in FrameMaker
* converted to HTML using WebWorks Standard
* validated through HomeSite and Macromedia Dreamweaver
* marked up for index and table of contents using Macromedia Dreamweaver and
Deva Tools
* compiled using the Microsoft HTML Help engine.

Does this count?
I've requested Omnisys Mif2Go to replace WebWorks Standard, but I have yet
to receive approval on it...

> For those of you who have built these type of systems, how do you
> handle information/organization within the site? Do you use a
> straight HTML system instead of a winhelp/htmlhelp/javahelp one?

In Dreamweaver, it certainly looks like straight HTML, and I do make those
HTML files available to technical support when they handle phone calls.

Everything is organized by topic and searchable by keyword.

I use Dreaweaver's library items to assure a standard navigation and
Templates for a common look and feel. The code that comes out of WebWorks
Standard unfortunately needs tweaking. I use a CSS designed for online help
to keep all the formatting information (font stuff, line spacing,
backgrounds, bullet types, etc) out of the actual HTML code.

The initial reason for going with the intermediary step of HTML was that
bits of the online help will actually go online. Which bits is still being
decided. (All of it is shipped with the product BTW.)

> Looking at DreamWeaver's help as an example, it looks like
> they've got the standard TOC/Index/Search functionality into a
> regular web page. Do you have to do that link-by-link or program
> it yourself with JavaScript or something? Also, they seem to have
> the F1 help all linked up to their interface. Is that tricky to do?

I use Deva Tools to generate the TOC and Index and Deva Search for search
functionality. While I did have a few problems with earlier versions -
currently everything works very well. See http:\\www.devahelp.com for more
information on this Dreamweaver plug-in.

I would be very interested in hearing what other people have done and how.
If you could, please post a summary of what you've received.

Thanks
Rebecca Downey Senior Technical Writer
ITG:NBM Matrox Electronic System
1055 St Regis, Dorval, Quebec, H9P 2T4