RE: Au revoir and god speed - Long

Subject: RE: Au revoir and god speed - Long
From: bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 09:34:08 -0600

For the same reason most of us wouldn't walk into a boardroom and yell that word in front of our peers. It's unprofessional to use it in a venue like this, and like has been pointed out can get recipients in trouble. It's never happened to me be at a previous job (in the defense industry), I did see a co-worker get his backside chewed for some e-mail that he had received.

If the temptation to use such foul language here should come over you, just try to imagine this as a professional conference, but one that has somebody taking dictation of everything you say and posting a public record of it (i.e. the list archives). Also, try to remember the philosophy that swearing shows a lack of vocabulary, something no writer wants to be accused of.

I'm not a prude and have used that very word quite frequently in my private life, but I try my best to not swear at work.