RE: If you were going to learn...

Subject: RE: If you were going to learn...
From: "Kevin Christy" <kevinchristy -at- socal -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 13:32:51 -0800

Bonnie said:

>>If you were going to learn about database technology, would you:

(a) Learn Microsoft Access?
(b) Take a class?
(c) Read a book?
(d) Give it up because you have to be a "techie" to understand it?<<

Bonnie, I learned about database technology because I had something I wanted
to do that required me learning it. I picked Access as the tool because we
had it, then I grabbed the user's manual and got going. Several months
later, I had a complete commission tracking database system that's still in
use today, six or seven years after I wrote it. For me, it is muuuuuuch
easier learning "about" something when I am in the process of using it to
meet a need.

However, I had a programming background, and so I already had an
understanding of fields, data types, and the concepts of records, tables,
and flat vs. relational databases. If you've never been exposed to those
concepts before, I would recommend you either take a class or get a Dummies
or other such tutorial book. There are tons available.

You needn't settle on Access by default; FileMaker is a great program as
well, if not even better than Access. It's just... Access is so ubiquitous.

Peace,

Kevin

www.ehelp.com/techwr