Translating, trados et al

Subject: Translating, trados et al
From: "Harry Thompson" <hthompson -at- instranet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 17:57:47 +0100

Paris calling,
We have a document set of nine manuals (ok, for some of you, that?s tadpoles
but hey?).
When we set up the doc plan my colleague and I draw straws to see who does
what. I then write in English and he writes in French. When we?re finished
we translate the other?s work. To date this has worked perfectly and
everyone is happy. Once this is done, we have two of the three required
languages. The English version is then passed across desk space to the
Japanese PM who either translates it or sends it off to an agency.
Given the proximity of the three mother tongue speakers we could probably do
without the external translators. We were wondering the other day if it is
worth our while investing in some translation memory software to help us
along quicker. We?re a young company that is now in doc updating rather than
writing mode from scratch mode. In the latest version of the product we?ve
also added two new guides.
The most tiresome part of translating some of the guides is that there is an
awful lot of repeated text (I try to keep everything very consistent). I
expect that TMS would help reduce the time spent doing this.
I?ve read the Trados paper and would now appreciate some real world opinions
on the time gain, costs, if the language combination is possible, or even
the speed with which one can learn how to use the various products on the
market.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration
Harry

www.ehelp.com/techwr