Re: THANKS! Re: It's time to go

Subject: Re: THANKS! Re: It's time to go
From: Jean Hollis Weber <jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 22:11:48 -0800

I'd like to thank Eric and Deb for a great list and a great website. I'm impressed with what they have done and amazed that they have time to do it. I've had my wrist slapped by Eric a couple of times over the years, and I've always agreed that I deserved it. And with perhaps one exception, I've always thought Eric's comments were thoughtful, well phrased, and right on target. I wish he did have time to comment more on real issues rather than spending time dealing with problem personalities.

I've long said that I can always tell when Eric is really busy, because threads that need snipping go on too long before he gets to them. In other words, problem days (when he doesn't step in) are, in my experience of quite a few years, the exception. Unfortunately, problem posts do seem to be increasing.

Eric asked for suggestions on how to deal with this. In addition to agreeing with many posts pointing out that we should all police ourselves (and how to do that), I have another suggestion. I don't know if this is practical or not, but is there a way for a group of people to act as list moderators, taking turns to deal with problems, so that Eric isn't stuck with the whole job? HATT has five (I think) people filling that role, but the setup at yahoogroups is different. TECHWR-L is, after all, a privately-hosted and -run list. Obviously if Eric did want to share the pain, the other people involved would all need to have similar views on the interpretation of the rules.

Thanks again, Eric and Deb, for providing this valuable service to the techwriting community.

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
mailto:jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.jeanweber.com/