Re: upgrade from 98 to XP

Subject: Re: upgrade from 98 to XP
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 09:05:48 -0800 (PST)

"Douglas S. Bailey (AL)" <> wrote ...

> What does it take to get a home LAN running on XP? I have XP on a
laptop
> and on a desktop, with a router/switch connecting the two. Both can
> easily
> browse the Web, but it's always difficult for me to get them to use each
> other's shared resources. I've gotten it to work well if I use NetBEUI,

> but from what I've read I shouldn't have to use that...I should be able
> to use TCP/IP alone.

If you have one of those Linksys type routers...

1. Set the router to serve as your DHCP server.
2. Remove NetBEUI and install TCP/IP on your PCs. (NetBEUI isn't routable
over the Internet.)
3. Configure each machine to "Obtain an IP address automatically" They
will now obtain their IP from the router.

This ensures both machines are part of the same subnet.

4. Get the name of each machine.
5. If you have personal firewall software you'll have to either
temporarily disable it (bad) or open the following ports (also bad): UDP
137, UDP 138, TCP 139 and TCP 445 (for Win2K/XP only). These are the ports
Windows machines use for NetBIOS sharing.
6. Open up My Computer (Windows Explorer) and type \<machine name> in the
Address bar.
7. Enter the proper passwords, and you're there.

Remember, that by opening these ports you open up your network to hacking.
You should configure the Linksys router to use a false IP address for the
DMZ host. For example, if your router is 192.168.1.1 and your two PCs are
assigned to 192.168.1.10 and 192.168.1.11, set the DMZ host to something
like 192.168.1.99. This way all inbound traffic will go nowhere. It won't
stop outbound nasties, but it will stop inbound hacks and pings.

Incidentally, all Windows NT, 2000, and XP Pro systems have default admin
shares. If you type \<machine name>c$ you'll attach to the C: drive. Use
d$ for the D: drive and so on.

Good luck.

Andrew Plato

http://greetings.yahoo.com