RE: Resumes with grant experience + proposals to govt

Subject: RE: Resumes with grant experience + proposals to govt
From: jrondeau <jrondeau -at- OREGON -dot- UOREGON -dot- EDU>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 09:40:17 -0800

>===== Original Message From Nora von Gerichten <wlg -at- pacificcoast -dot- net> =====
>Proposal writing fails when the task is
>given to the sales dept. If your logic is right, I should include proposal
>writing too?

<snip>

>It has only been in the last couple of months that I have ever needed to
>look for TW work. I think of grants as way, way out there from TW. I am a
>bit intimidated at my lack of usual skills from much of the posts. Grant
>writers are a very, very different lot. I promise my biz insurance
>underwriters that I have everything check and double checked by an army of
>lawyers (not true, usually). There are some legal issues surrounding grant
>and proposal applications. (I have about 18 years grant writing experience
>and about 8 in proposal writing.)

INCLUDE, INCLUDE, INCLUDE. I don't think you are as far out there as you seem
to think. But then, the "TW" I do these days isn't very high-tech, either.
Still, the process you have to go through seems structually not all that far
off what many folks have to deal with in different settings. I'd take
managerial oversight over legal any day.

>>You must be looking at/thinking about whole different worlds of TW from
>>mine.
>>I've lost count of how many positions I've seen that included grant
>>writing as
>>a desideratum....Not least b/c you so clearly understand how grants work,
>>why they're important, etc. etc. etc.
>
>What does b/c mean?

Sorry -- it means "because."

>>Well then, what DO you call TW?
>
>Since joining the discussion group, I am feeling quite inadequate with some
>of my software knowledge. I guess I am thinking TW do more stuff with the
>back end part of writing than grant or proposal writers, ever
>touch.

>95% of both require hard copy only, and usually in
>quadrillion copies: hand delivered or snail mail (couriers not
>permitted).

Oh yeah. Been there, done that, although not as much as you have. If that's
not dealing with technical something, I don't know what is.

>Solutions to problems,
>which is what I wright about, are weighted, usually as: 1) experience of
>company; 2) creative solution; and then 3) cost. These are peer reviewed
>the same as scientific journals. I have a strong research or abstract
>science background and understand the process most of the time better than
>my applied science (engineering) clients.
>
>The down side is, as I have been trying to avoid
>learning to design things like web pages, everyone else has moved on to
>bigger and better tools and tricks and I am left in the dust. I am trying
>to get in better alignment with what kinds of things are expected in
>January 2002.

Sounds to me as though you've been focusing on the tools YOU need to get YOUR
job done. Good for you. At the risk of clogging people's mailboxes again,
let me tell a story. I met last fall with a friend of a friend who I'd say is
much more of a "real" TW than I am. His background is in library science --
from there he got into information systems generally, and worked for Apple for
a number of years before being seduced by the Eugene lifestyle thing and
deciding to go freelance. I told him about my recent experience writing stuff
for an education database and for a travel company, to which he replied, "Well
yeah, of course that makes you a TW." Oh yeah? Well, my dreams outrun my
reality these days, so I'm still pondering that one.

I'm a newbie, so I'll make no large claims here, but it seems to me that
although this list is dominated by discussions that seem to relate to software
development, many folks who do vastly different things weigh in with useful
comments and knowledge.

That said, I spend a lot of time, when I have it, being intimidated (on a bad
day) or impressed (on a good day) with what list members can do. Including
you. Good luck!

Jennifer