Re: Got Process?

Subject: Re: Got Process?
From: Nora Merhar <nmerhar -at- charlesindustries -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 10:27:34 -0600 (CST)

I always try to stay out of the process debates, because I really don't know how I
feel about it. I suppose my "process" would be considered a "seat of the pants" kind
of thing, but I DO have a process. Keep in mind that I mainly document
telecommunications hardware.

1. Someone (usually an engineer) comes to me and says "Hey, Nora, we need a doc for
this product!" IF it is a particularly complex or new product, this tends to happen
early in THEIR process--if it is a pretty simple product, it happens right before
release, or even after release (it shouldn't but it does).

2. I say "OK, I need an ECN (if it's a change) or an RES (if it's new) through Agile
(our revision control system). Everything has to be tracked, and they know this. I
also have a form that I have them fill out (very simple, 1 page) asking about part
numbers, field trial/release dates, reviewers, a couple of other things. I use this
so I can schedule my time, and so I don't have to keep calling them for information.
They were a touch balky about it at first, but now everyone understands why I need it
and fills it out for me.

3. I do the document, get reviews, revise, etc. Documents are everything from simple
editing jobs (change one feature in a product to make a whole new product) to
extensive new writing.

4. Release document.

Everything in the actual process of creating the doc is very flexible, but the
process of REQUESTING the new document and RELEASING the new document is always the same.

It works for me. I think if I had a more rigid process, the engineers would refuse to
work with me.

Nora