RE: Applying On-Line

Subject: RE: Applying On-Line
From: "Nora Merhar" <nmerhar -at- charlesindustries -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 12:17:22 -0600

Lin has an excellent point. I will add here that I have not had to use Word
much myself. Anything I receive in Word that I need to use is immediately
converted to Interleaf (yes, I've used nothing but Interleaf to produce
manuals for the past 9 years--amazing, isn't it?) I can use Word styles, and
do in my resume, but I don't like to think that anyone interested in
possibly hiring me would be paying more attention to how I use Word than the
content of my resume.

To me, the larger point is that we complain often on this list about job ads
requiring certain tools. The general consensus is that we are writers, and
the tool we use shouldn't matter. It seems contradictory to turn around and
say that we must use our resumes to prove proficiency in a certain tool.

Nora
Senior Technical Writer, Charles Industries, Ltd.
nmerhar -at- charlesindustries -dot- com