Re: Got Process (and Quality/Standards etc)

Subject: Re: Got Process (and Quality/Standards etc)
From: "Damien Braniff" <DBraniff -at- amphion -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 08:37:11 -0000

We ALL use processes, the only difference is that some are more formal
than others. Usually the larger the company the more formal the
processes. The problem that this brings is that larger companies tend
[not a universal truth :-) ] tend to take longer to change them when are
found to be incorrect - simple bureaucracy, a fact of life.

On the quality front there are many standards. Some are what I'd call
'hard' standards. These apply to, for example, steel etc where there is
a measurable physical standard to be met before it is passed - these
usually have a direct correlation to the quality of the product. Then
there are the 'soft' standards the best known of which is probably
ISO9000 and these often have no direct bearing on quality at all. Some
time ago in a TW lull I did a 2 year course in quality at a local
university and one of the lecturers there explained that ISO9000 was
about consistency, not quality. If you had ISO9000 and produced good
products then it would ensure that you'd consistently produce good
products. But if the product was crap...

A process doesn't guarantee quality (but a GOOD process can help!).

Damien Braniff
Technical Writer
Amphion Semiconductor Ltd.
50/51 Malone Road