RE: [ucuml] I really need some type of answer - OK, here's a long one!

Subject: RE: [ucuml] I really need some type of answer - OK, here's a long one!
From: Ed Manley <EManley -at- Solutionsplus -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 14:48:08 -0600

I think, Paul, that I would put them either on the intranet web site (if you
have one) or on a shared drive where they can see the use case diagrams and
text as you create them. That way they know what you know when you know it,
and may be willing to help you extend and maintain that knowledge as well.

As far as the level of knowledge to put in them - the developer's can't
deliver what you want unless you explicitly tell them what you want. If you
don't prototype every screen and document the functionality of every button
they will not give you what you expect to get.

The fact that it takes time to get to that level of detail is the problem.
Management will just about always propose the Ready, Shoot, Aim way of doing
things because they rarely see value in the Aim part of the process.

That's where you have to get management to trust you enough; to believe that
the time you spend in analysis and documentation before the coders ever get
their grubby little mits on it will pay for itself in helping deliver
quality software on time and in budget.

Good Luck,
Ed