RE: Applying On-Line

Subject: RE: Applying On-Line
From: "Darren Barefoot" <darren -dot- barefoot -at- capeclear -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 16:44:31 -0000

Keith wrote:

> I have been in the position of needing to hire a Word expert,
> in which case I agree with those criteria. But to force those
> expectations on all applicants without Word skill being an
> actual job requirement seems unreasonable.
>
> That said, I also hasten to add that MOST job openings I'm
> seeing require a Word resume, which presents a hurdle to
> those list members who have vowed to never send a Word doc
> via e-mail. In my experience, Word is what businesses use to
> communicate with each other, so that attitude seems a bit militant.

I'm with Glenn on this one. As my father taught me, if a job's worth
doing, it's worth doing right. Any writer I hire should be able to
competently manage styles in Microsoft Word. It's a pretty basic
function that's applicable to many other tools. Your resume is your
first writing sample, and it should be treated as such.

When I was a Doc Manager, I was notorious for scrutinizing the resumes
of applicants. If everything was manually formatted in MS Word, they
certainly got several strikes against them. They weren't immediately
eliminated, but it didn't leave a good impression. Resumes directly
reflect how the writer makes decisions regarding layout and
organization. If a writer puts everything in tables to manage the
appearance, and the result looks great, then it's to their credit.

I never used an agency when hiring, but I should mention that apparently
agencies often modify or even recreate resumes. So, if you're an
MSWordPoliceman like me, first check if the agency has messed with the
resume en route. Thanks. DB.