RE: pondering page numbers

Subject: RE: pondering page numbers
From: "Ehr, Meg" <Meg -dot- Ehr -at- smartworks -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 16:03:07 -0500

Dick Margulis said:

"Now THAT's a creative solution I've never seen before. Good thinking!"

>Bob Hooker wrote:

>We write and print in PDF in 8.5x11. Our printing company reduces the size
>to 7x9 (about 81%.) for the hard copy.

I used to work at a place (air cargo company, long before I was a "real" TW)
that printed operations manuals on legal-size (8.5x14) paper, then reduced
the size to 5.5x8.5 when they were duplicated (to match the size of the
other manuals the pilots carried in the cockpit). It worked fine when they
had the bulk of the printing done professionally, but it was a complete PITA
when we had to produce updates in-house (which we had to do quite
frequently). The PHPTB decided that we should be photocopying (duplexed, no
less) directly onto 5.5x8.5 three-hole-punched paper (pre-cut and
pre-drilled by a local quick-printer).

I can't tell you how many paper jams I cleared, how many service calls we
made, or how many copiers we went through in six months because the PTB were
convinced that the (increasingly large, powerful, sophisticated) machines
were the problem. I tried to convince them that we'd be better off making
two-wide copies on the 8.5x11 paper, then cutting and drilling afterward
(jams were because the holes kept snagging in the machine). Never worked. I
felt sorry for every copier salesperson and technician who walked in the
door...

Meg Ehr