RE: Wardrobe/shoe choice for Interviews: is height an issue for w omen?

Subject: RE: Wardrobe/shoe choice for Interviews: is height an issue for w omen?
From: "Ehr, Meg" <Meg -dot- Ehr -at- smartworks -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 18:08:17 -0500

Anita Legsdin said:

<snipped>
women who are tall are generally taught to slouch, wear low heels, and speak
softly
</snipped>

Gee, I got lessons 1 and 2 down (though I thought it was because I'm lazy
and can't walk in really high heels), but I must have slept through lesson
#3!

and Dick Margulis said (lo these many hours ago):

<snipped>
People who have short man's disease have short man's disease and will be
intimidated regardless of your sex and no matter what heels you wear. ... If
the guy is intimidated, trust me, you do NOT want to work for him.
</snipped>

Couldn't have said it better myself. I used to work for one of those guys
(pre-TW). I don't know if he was intimidated by my height, or just by the
fact that I *wasn't* intimidated by him, but it was still fun to stand up
really straight when I was around him just to see his reaction.

I always wear heels to interviews, and have never noticed that it's been a
problem. Then again, I'm only 5'9", so maybe I'm just not *that* tall...

Seriously, I do find that what I wear makes a difference in how I carry
myself, and how I feel -- flats just don't do it for me in an interview, so
I won't wear them.

Meg Ehr