Re: [RE: Gray hair and first impressions]

Subject: Re: [RE: Gray hair and first impressions]
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 11:34:50 -0700

There are rules to all the games in life.

The most skillful players know these rules inside out, and in some cases
they find workarounds.

The least skillful players waste valuable time and energy worrying about
whether the rules are fair (here's a tip: they're not). Or they spin their
wheels, rebelling against rules that are not going to change.

If you want to get a job, learn what that employer wants. Then give it to
them, better than the next person.

Obviously, if it's completely objectionable, look elsewhere. But I have NO
sympathy for a guy that turns down a good job to keep his ponytail. And I
have walked a mile in those shoes, as a career musician who lopped off all
my hair the day before my first white-collar interview. My earrings have
to stay home, too, and my tattoo can never show. No problem. Pay me.

You want to work for somebody else, and have them take care of things like
your taxes, your health plan? Then adopt their look. Play by their
rulebook. Learn the rules and how to use them to your advantage.

Want your ponytail and nose ring? Start your own company.

You should decide what's most important to you, and act accordingly.

But MY kid is not going to miss out on going to college because Daddy
wanted to keep his hair long.

- Keith Cronin

Tech writing: Just another example of how The Man keeps us down, by making
us follow steps and rules and procedures and such.