RE: Gray hair and first impressions

Subject: RE: Gray hair and first impressions
From: "Gordon Graham" <gordon -at- gordonandgordon -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 12:37:23 -0500

I spoke with one woman, a venerable member of the tech writing trade, who
used to have excellent rapport in her first phone conversations with
prospective new clients. They would appreciate her many years of experience.
But when she showed up for the first meeting, they would sometimes turn off
when they saw her gray hair. Yes, they were young and foolish, and yes, this
is discrimination, but I don't think it's illegal for a company to chose one
supplier over another on whatever basis they want.

Her solution was to sometimes have a more youthful-looking person go with
her to the first meeting.

In my own case, I have a fair bit of gray in my beard which I DO cover up,
especially for first meetings with new clients. And routinely with some
clients. Just vanity I guess. Plus, it only takes a few seconds with my
handy dandy <Productplace>Aveda mask-hair-a</Productplace> stick.

Gordon Graham, partner
Gordon & Gordon
(514) 488-1875
www.gordonandgordon.com