Re: Instructional Shows/Junkyard Wars (was Re: Does D & D...

Subject: Re: Instructional Shows/Junkyard Wars (was Re: Does D & D...
From: CHRISTINE ANAMEIER <CANAMEIE -at- email -dot- usps -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 12:14:26 -0500

> I watched a 30 minute show last night called "Good Eats" which
> featured all the different ways to select, cook and store
> egg plants! It even included a brief life history of the egg
> plant! I was amazed. There's got to be some seriously
> challenging tech writing going on for that show.

Yes! That's got to be the best food show on TV. (Cook's Illustrated
magazine's "America's Test Kitchen" was pretty good too, but I haven't
seen that on my local PBS station in months.)

The writing is great, but also the presentation: they verbally explain
concepts AND reinforce them visually with captions, diagrams,
gestures, models... I love what they do with tinkertoys, bubble wrap,
and styrofoam. The recap they often do in the last minute or two is
helpful too. And I love the practicality of it. Instead of giving us
recipes for bizarre jaded-palate dishes we'll never make, they show us
how to work with ordinary ingredients. I've seen even non-cooks get
engrossed in that show. Can't wait 'til the book comes out. (For
anyone who's curious, transcripts are available at
www.goodeatsfanpage.com.)

Christine
canameie -at- email -dot- usps -dot- gov