Writing Course for Developer's

Subject: Writing Course for Developer's
From: shannon -dot- morris -at- gen21 -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 12:42:15 -0700

I would like to ask if anyone else has developed a writing course for
developers? After presenting several issues I had with information that
was being entered into our bug-tracking software - my manager decided it
would be a good idea for me to teach a course in business writing for our
development team. Although I do have a teaching backgroud and can relate
to the developer's (my degree is in Information Systems) I don't
necessarily feel qualified to teach a business writing course.

I am the lone technical writer here and have been for the last 2 years -
this is my first formal job as a technical writer but I have had no formal
training in this area.

I have done quite a bit of research on business writing courses and
various writing courses in general - so I know I could throw something
together - but as my company develops training delivery software - I
thought it might be nice to offer a blended solution, find an online
third-party course, such as 'Business Writing for Developer's' offer that
and then I could develop an instructor-led section pertaining specificlly
to our internal processes, audiences and such.

Has anyone every done this and if so how did you go about it? Also, are
there any good developer sites out there that anyone can recommend that
have good training resources that might have a course like this - or does
anyone know of a course like this? I have searched the Web and I am going
to check out Oracle and Sun's web sites to see what resources they may
have. I did have a look through the archives but nothing appeared related.

For some reason, not that I think developer's are unable to communicate
effectively, but (at least at my company, their written skills could be
more effective), I thought this would be a more common course offering.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or recommendations.

Shannon Morris
Technical Writer, Generation21 Learning Systems