Re: Toastmasters

Subject: Re: Toastmasters
From: CarolAnne -dot- Wall -at- minnesotamutual -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 14:31:24 -0600

David asked:
<My hope was to several things out of toastmasters. First, I
understand that it is directed at improving one's speaking abilities. But
what exactly does that mean? I would like to learn how to better organized
my talks, how to present them in a more dynamic manner, how to relax and
not
be so nervous. Are these the things that one gets from joining?>

I would say an enthusiastic "yes!" to all your questions. Each speech you
present from the various Toastmasters manuals has one specific area of
focus: organization, gestures, keeping your language simple, using props,
etc. As you prepare your speech, you focus on improving that skill. I
think you learn to be less nervous just by getting up in front of people on
a continuing basis. You can also learn by watching other members of your
club give speeches and listening to their evaluations. I've picked up
many pointers that way.

As far as how it helps my **technical writing**, I don't see a big impact.
But 97% of my work is writing functional specifications and I've had a
method to my madness for years. ;^) I **have** seen an improvement in
my organization for non-technical writing projects -- newsletters, term
papers, detailed email. Maybe others can address impact on technical
writing?

Carol Anne

Carol Anne T. Wall, FLMI
Technical Writer - Individual Business Technology, Minnesota Life Insurance
Company
carolanne -dot- wall -at- minnesotamutual -dot- com

RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing
Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr