Toastmasters (was Re: Training in Speaking )

Subject: Toastmasters (was Re: Training in Speaking )
From: CarolAnne -dot- Wall -at- minnesotamutual -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 12:20:38 -0600

I've been in Toastmasters for 4 years now. I joined because I had great
difficulty speaking off the cuff. I'd be almost worthless in a meeting,
when asked a question. My best communication skills have always been
written skills, unless I was teaching. I've got a good teaching skill set.

I have seen marked improvement in my impromptu speaking over the years I've
been in Toastmasters. In every meeting, there's a section that is devoted
to off-the-cuff speaking -- Table Topics.

By doing evaluations, I've been able to improve my listening skills and
have learned how to give good, constructive feedback with examples and
suggestions. That's a good skill to have if I ever have a supervisory or
management position.

I've also had the chance to stretch my writing wings -- I'm in the middle
of my second year as our club's VP of Public Relations. I write a
newsletter for the club, and it won the top award at our District
Convention last spring (small brag).

Lastly, by giving speeches, my already strong teaching skills have
improved. I know how to use a Powerpoint presentation effectively -- my
audience never suffers through a Death-by-Powerpoint presentation.

If you are looking for a place to practice or learn new communication
skills, Toastmasters (www.toastmasters.org) is an excellent place to start.

Carol Anne
(Proud ATM-B/CL, and working towards the Silver level)

Carol Anne T. Wall, FLMI
Technical Writer - Individual Business Technology, Minnesota Life Insurance
Company
carolanne -dot- wall -at- minnesotamutual -dot- com

RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing
Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr