Re: What about the client's needs? (was: What would Andrew do)

Subject: Re: What about the client's needs? (was: What would Andrew do)
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 11:44:59 -0800

Andrew Plato wrote:

4. Our project with the client ended successfully, albeit with a little
egg on some faces. Nobody was angry, no lawsuits, no disagreements.
Let me play devil's advocate here, and suggest that this is probably the most important point. Just as publicizing the details of a law suit might lead to unfavorable publicity, so could a humourous story at a client's expense. Especially since a tech-writer is in your story, isn't there an even larger chance than usual that your story could get back to the people it's about? Or that other companies might see the story and wonder if that's how you treat confidentiality issues?

I'm just raising possibilities here, not stating my opinion, but the issue's an interesting one. It goes right to the core of the relation between a consultant and clients.

"To bring the dead to life
Is no great magic.
Few are wholly dead:
Blow on a dead man's embers
And a live flame will start."
- Robert Graves, "To Bring the Dead to Life"

Attention ForeHelp and Doc-to-Help Users! Upgrade your existing product to RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr