Re: Lingua Franca Today

Subject: Re: Lingua Franca Today
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 11:22:50 -0800 (PST)

> The experience of downsizing challenges meritocratic individualism. As
> Newman's study shows, managers experience 'a fall from grace' . However,

> they are acutely aware that it is not one of their own making. Hence,
they
> are forced to accept an alternative explanation for their plight which
> Newman (pp. 65) calls "categorical fate." Unemployed managers must
accept
> a structural explanation which attributes their plight to larger
> socioeconomic forces that are beyond their control: They must learn to
see
> themselves are members of a category "that is...subject to
victimization."
> (p. 65). They recognize that middle managers have been identified as
> dysfunctional for corporate competitiveness in the global economy. They

> learn that the high salaries they command as experienced managers make
them
> vulnerable to the current vogue of 'slash and burn' lay offs of well
paid
> managers who are subsequently replaced by lower paid, newly-degreed
> MBAs. And, they are increasingly aware that middle managers are being
> rendered obsolete by a computer revolution that makes it possible to
> transmit information from Milan to Manhattan with the click of a mouse.
>
> you're welcome to write my advisor, Gerald Grant, at Syracuse University

> for a copy of the paper. He has it on file.

No thanks. I did my time at University Penitentiary.

Tech writing is not the same as writing a dissertation. Maybe you have
found a unique niche writing area that allows you the freedom to use
phrases like "meritocratic individualism" and "lingua franca" regularly.
But most of us, cannot use such language because it would alienate
readers, piss off bosses, and worse...lose customers. Something you might
consider, lest you become "dysfunctional for corporate competitiveness in
the global economy."

Good luck.

Andrew Plato

Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/

RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing
Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr